WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark (MA-5) released the following statement after President Joe Biden signed the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act into law.
“For years, the American people have called for improvements to our nation’s highways, bridges, and roads, and demanded smart investments to solve the housing and climate crises. The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act is a historic step forward. It will modernize our nation’s roads, bridges, ports, and public transportation systems, expand broadband, get lead out of our drinking water, and address climate change. It will add 2 million jobs per year over the course of the next decade — jobs that are good paying, green, and protected by unions.
“With this bill signed into law, we have reached a milestone in our work to recover and rebuild a stronger economy. We must now fulfil our commitment to build a more just, sustainable, and inclusive tomorrow for every worker, woman, and family by passing the Build Back Better Act. Together, we will enact transformative progress for every American and for our future.”
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act includes provisions to:
- Repair roads and bridges with the single largest dedicated bridge investment since the construction of the interstate highway system.
- Invest in public transit and rail with the largest investment in public transit and passenger rail since the creation of Amtrak.
- Expand broadband by ensuring every American has access to reliable high-speed internet, all the more critical after COVID.
- Secure clean water by making the largest investment in clean drinking water and wastewater infrastructure in American history, replacing lead pipes and delivering clean water to millions of families.
- Improve supply chain channels by investing in our ports, water systems and airports.