WASHINGTON, D.C. – Democratic Whip Katherine Clark (MA-5) announced initial key leadership hires for the 118th Congress. The combination of new and seasoned members of Team Clark will support the success of the entire House Democratic Caucus.
“This is a team of dedicated public servants who are committed to House Democrats’ mission of putting people over politics,” said Whip Clark. “Harnessing their depth of personal and professional experiences, House Democrats stand ready to stop the Republican extremist agenda and fight for American families.”
- A native of the Whip’s Massachusetts district, Kathryn Alexanderwill continue to serve as the Communications Director & Senior Advisor. She joined Team Clark in 2018 and oversees all external communications.
- Jake Bayer will join the Democratic Whip’s team as Member Services and Floor Advisor. Since 2015, Bayer has worked in various roles for former Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, most recently as Member Services and Floor Advisor.
- Courtney Cochran will now serve as Deputy Member Services Director, previously having served as the Director of Strategic Planning since March 2021. She has spent a decade on Capitol Hill working in various roles, including Deputy Chief of Staff for Rep. Watson Coleman and press and legislative roles in the offices of Reps. Elijah Cummings and Adam Smith.
- Wendy Hamilton will now serve as the Director of Operations. She has been a member of Team Clark since 2019, where she has served on the Member Services and Outreach team. She previously worked in the Offices of Rep. Kathy Castor, former Rep. Brenda Lawrence, and Rep. Pramila Jayapal.
- Leah Han joins the Democratic Whip’s team as a Member Services Associate. Since joining the Hill, Leah has served under former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, most recently as Special Assistant to the Executive Office and Member Services Associate.
- Taylor Lawrence joins Team Clark as a Staff Assistant. She previously worked in the same capacity for the former Majority Whip James E. Clyburn, following her graduation from Stanford University in June 2021.
- Joy Lee will serve as Deputy Communications Director.She joins the Democratic Whip’s expanded press operation after working in various roles in former Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office since October 2015, most recently as National Press Secretary.
- Michael Reed joins the Democratic Whip’s office as Director of Whip Operations and Member Services. Most recently, Reed served as Director of Member Services for former Speaker Nancy Pelosi. He brings over a decade of experience in various roles, including Chief of Staff for Rep. Eric Swalwell, Deputy Chief of Staff for Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, and policy roles for Senator Robert Menendez, the National Conference of State Legislators, and the National Black Caucus of State Legislators.
- Diana Rudd will serve as Senior Counsel & Floor Advisor. She joined Team Clark in 2016, most recently working as Director of Member Services & Counsel. Rudd began her Capitol Hill career in the office of former Democratic Caucus Chair Rep. John Larson followed by the Energy & Commerce Committee.
- Xenia Ruiz will serve as Deputy Chief of Staff. Prior to joining Team Clark as Director of Outreach in 2019, she served as Deputy Chief of Staff to Rep. Tom O'Halleran in addition to senior legislative roles with Reps. Ruben Gallego and Pete Gallego. Her previous work before coming to Capitol Hill spans political and policy advocacy.
- Ray Salazar joins Team Clark as Floor Director.Salazar served for nearly ten years in Congressman Steny Hoyer’s office, eight of which were in his Leadership office. Most recently, he served as the Deputy Floor Director & Senior Advisor to the former Majority Leader.
- Brooke Scannell will continue to serve as Chief of Staff, a role she has held since Whip Clark was first elected to the House. Scannell has served as Clark’s chief political advisor and strategist for nearly twenty years, including management of her 2013 special election to Congress.
- Keith Stern joins the Democratic Whip’s operation as Senior Advisor. Stern has served in various roles on Capitol Hill since 1997, starting in Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard’s office, and eventually was named Chief of Staff for Rep. Jim McGovern. After working with Rep. McGovern for 16 years, he most recently was Director of Floor Operations for former Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
- John Weber will serve as Speechwriter. He joins Team Clark from former Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office, where he served as Deputy Director of Speechwriting. Prior to his time on Capitol Hill, John worked at the Democratic National Committee, the AFL–CIO, and EMILY's List.
# # #